Graduate School Admissions Requirements

Graduate Admission 

Applicable to Graduate Programs in the College of Engineering & Architecture, College of Nursing & Allied Health Sciences, College of Arts & Sciences, Graduate School, School of Business (MBA), School of Communications, School of Divinity, School of Education, and the School of Social Work.

NOTE: Unfortunately, our office does not offer application fee waivers at this time. The Graduate Admission Application is also not applicable for Undergraduate Applicants, Undergraduate Former Students Returning, Exchange (Domestic or International), or Continuing Education students.

Returning Students

A student who was pursuing a graduate degree at Howard University, who has not been registered at the University for the previous semester, and who wishes to return to the same school/college, department, and degree program. In general, Former Students Returning are readmitted to the last program in which they were enrolled at Howard University. Graduate students seeking to change their program, must submit a new application for admission by the given application deadline posted on the respective application system. Generally, students seeking readmission must submit the Graduate Returning Student Application no less than 30 days prior to the start of the semester to which they are seeking readmission.

Students must consult with their program for specific requirements, and to determine their general admissibility, especially if they were dismissed from their program for poor scholarship (cumulative GPA below minimum threshold).

Before readmission is granted, students must also lift all holds on their account by the given deadline before they are able to be readmitted. To view your holds, please log into BisonWeb and click 'Student Records' and/or 'Student Accounts' -> 'View Holds' via the Student Services tab.

Mailing Address: Office of Admission, 2400 6th Street NW, Washington, DC 20059


The application for non-degree graduate admission at Howard University requires the following documents:

  • Application Essay detailing your reason for pursuing admission
  • Personal Statement
  • Officials Transcripts
  • Applicants must report all institutions attended and send all official transcripts to GradCAS. If you do not list or send official transcripts for all institutions attended, processing of your application will be delayed.
  • Sending transcripts electronically? Click here for additional information. GradCAS accepts electronic transcripts from:
    • Credential Solutions
    • Parchment
    • National Student Clearinghouse

Admission Fees Refund Policy

Howard University does not refund the application fee nor the $300 enrollment fee.

Equal Opportunity and Diversity

Howard University, as a community of scholars, is committed to the elimination of discrimination in education and the provision of equal opportunity in education. In compliance with state and federal laws and regulation, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in any of our policies, procedures, or practices. This non-discrimination policy covers admission and access to, and treatment, in all programs and activities, including but not limited to, academic admissions, financial aid, educational services and employment.

Graduate Deferment Policy

Graduate applicants (note, this does not relate to Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy or Law applicants) who have been offered admission to Howard University may request to defer their enrollment for up to one year. These deferment requests will need to be completed by January 1 (for Spring applicants), May 1 (for Summer applicants), or August 1 (for Fall applicants) of each year. If the student does not matriculate in the approved deferment semester, a new application will need to be filed for admission consideration. To complete the deferment process, please send an email to indicating your reason for deferment, and what you will be doing during the gap period.

Deferment requests are not accepted for graduate non-degree students. Non-degree students must submit a new application for admission for the desired entry term to be considered for admission.